WHITE PLAINS, NY. – July 20, 2018 – NY NOW®, the Market for Home, Lifestyle + Gift, brings a sense of wanderlust to the upcoming summer market through the vast number of international companies across the exhibit floor, including those artisans participating in the incredible Artisan Resource® section. Buyers, importers, shop owners and designers can take a trip around the globe without ever leaving New York City, and source the most incredible designs across hundreds of product categories. To see the latest international designs and handmade products, buyers and designers can find them at the NY NOW summer 2018 market starting Sunday, August 12, 2018 through Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City.
“There’s no better place than NY NOW for buyers and designers to find the most unique products from around the globe,” said Randi Mohr, Vice President and NY NOW Director. “NY NOW’s expansive marketplace presents an incredible opportunity to discover the best of the best from around the world. We can’t wait for buyers to hear the stories behind these products and the impact that these companies have on their communities.”
Artisan Resource Provides Production Sourcing Opportunity
There is an unprecedented demand for handmade and artisan products in the gift, home and lifestyle industries today. At the summer market, the Artisan Resource section – part of NY NOW’s HANDMADE Collection – will once again provide a production-sourcing opportunity for overseas artisan enterprises to showcase their products and production capabilities at export terms from the country of origin. Located on Level 3 at the rear of the 3500-3900 aisles, Artisan Resource will feature more than 100 companies from 29 different countries and gives US-based importers the opportunity to connect with international producers and exporters. Exhibitors have experience in meeting export demands and are selected by their commitment to design innovation, cultural preservation, social enterprise and sustainability.
Spanning all categories of product from home décor, personal accessories, gifts and more, some of this year’s Artisan Resource exhibitors include:
· Caribbean Craft (Booth #3667) - Returning from an absence - Caribbean Craft provides a real livelihood to an artisan community of more than 400 individuals in Haiti. Each home décor piece is handmade with love by a skilled artist while production and distribution are overseen by award winning social entrepreneur Magalie Noel Dresse.
· Milagros (Booth #3982) - *NEW* - Unique jewelry including bracelets, necklaces, earrings and Milagros (charms) made by hand in Guatemala. Each piece carries the fingerprint of the young woman who made it and represents each life improved by a purchase. All sales revenues are reinvested into the program and includes funding salaries, workroom operating expenses and creating income for Casa Hogar.
· Skinny laMinx (Booth #3875) - *NEW* - A design, pattern and textile studio in Cape Town, South Africa that channels colors and shapes from the past to make interesting prints for the future. Chic textiles and homewares such as pillows, kitchen and tabletop linens are designed and made in the company's studio.
· The Wren Design (Booth #3871) - *NEW* - The Wren repurposes found materials to create more than 40 different contemporary handcrafted paper lifestyle accessories. The company's iconic and bestselling range of Pretoria Portland Cement-branded bags are striking for the way they combine contemporary design ideas with ordinary materials to produce something that is uniquely eye-catching. In addition to paper, fabrics utilizing repurposed coffee sacks and antique linen are used.
Additionally, Artisan Resource will feature seven different pavilions, some of which include:
· Chilean Crafts (Booth #3673) - *NEW* - Artisans from Chile will showcase home décor, rugs, jewelry, personal accessories and more. Chilean Crafts is dedicated to promoting the development of entrepreneurs in southern Chile through specialized consultancies, training and dissemination events to achieve openness to new national and international markets for handicrafts.
· Egypt (Booth #3770) - *NEW* - Representing 10 artisan groups, the Egypt Pavilion will bring together an amazing collection of creative designs and high quality handmade products from leading designers, artisans and entrepreneurs from all over Egypt. Products include lighting, rugs, kitchenware, jewelry and more.
· Indonesian Pavilion (Booth #3861) - Returning - Three Indonesian government organizations come together to represent 17 artisan groups featuring products such as clothing, scarves, shoes, accessories, jewelry, handbags, handwoven baskets, home décor and more.
· MAISON DE L'ARTISAN - HANDICRAFT FROM MOROCCO (Booths #3662, #3666 and #3668) - Returning - Representing three companies that will showcase jewelry, handbags, and home décor, this governmental institution was established in 1957 and promotes Moroccan handicraft products all over the world.
· TFO Canada (Booth #3870) - *NEW* - TFO Canada is a Canadian NGO whose mandate is to help companies from developing countries access international markets. This season, TFO Canada will represent 13 companies from countries including Haiti, Cambodia, Bangladesh, Ethiopia and Madagascar, and will feature products such as fashion accessories, home décor and kids apparel.
· USAID East Africa Trade and Investment Hub (Booth #3674) - *NEW* - Representing a total of six companies from East Africa (Kenya, Madagascar, Ethiopia and Tanzania) that will showcase handmade baskets, decorative accessories, tabletop, handbags, scarves, vases, gifts and more.
· Vietnam Handicraft Exporters Association (Vietcraft) (Booths #3562 and #3572) – Returning from an absence - A collection of 10 different companies from Vietnam showcasing products across the home décor, baby, tabletop and stationery categories.
In addition, NY NOW continues to welcome new brands to its popular Market Incubator Pavilion. First launched in 2013, companies in this section represent emerging artisan enterprises that can exhibit in the pavilion for three consecutive Markets providing opportunities to grow their presence and business over time. In August, this pavilion will be home to 14 brands, including newcomers such as Ohrna (Booth #3976, India), Tanana by Wild Silk Markets (Booth #3983, Madagascar) and Crafted in Kathmandu (Booth #3981, Nepal).
International Companies from Fifty-Five Different Countries
The entire NY NOW summer 2018 market will feature nearly 600 exhibiting brands representing 55 different countries (not including the U.S.) and spanning six continents. International exhibitors can be found in every section of the market; a few include:
· Angel Glass Design, SIA (Latvia, Home Furnishings + Textiles, Booth #2562) - Innovative and functional glass bowls and vases that are minimalist in their aesthetics, functional in their design and unique by virtue of their hand-crafted nature.
· BANWOOD S.L (Spain, Baby + Child, Booth #7041) - A family-owned lifestyle brand with a passion for creating high-end cycling products for children. For each bike ordered through its website, BANWOOD will make a donation to its non-profit partner, OneTreePlanted, on the customer’s behalf.
· Bottlelight Company (Germany, Gift, Booth #7672) - Known for elegant designs, Bottlelight Company creates quality modern table lamps based on the latest high efficient LED technology and electronics.
· ChiloteShoes (Chile, Handmade® Global Design, Booth #500) - The ultimate ethical wool slippers that help preserve the culture and communities in Patagonia.
· Hester van Eeghen (Netherlands, Handmade® Designer Maker, Booth #1162) - Leather bags and accessories since 1987. All items are designed in Amsterdam and hand-crafted in Italy. Her designs are highlighted by geometric shapes and a variety of colors, but it's their mix of non-traditional elements and sly sense of humor that seduces.
· Marmalade of London (United Kingdom, Personal Care + Wellness, Booth #8082) – Made in Britain, Marmalade of London will feature soy wax candles with essential oils, bath and body products that contain natural ingredients including shea butter and aloe vera.
· Mondschein (Austria, Personal Accessories, Booth #8138) - A Vienna-based fashion and lifestyle label producing accessories such as scarves and bags made out of very soft, high-quality merino-wool.
· OTOTO Design Ltd (Israel, Tabletop + Gourmet Housewares, Booth #3757) - Functional kitchenware, cookware and gadgets with a witty and unexpected twist.
· Pais Textil (Peru, Artisan Resource®, Booth #3763) - Dedicated to the design and commercialization of high quality handmade textiles such as home accessories and bags, Pais Textil produces prehispanic backstrap looms and pedal looms, in cotton and alpaca.
· Pappelina AB (Sweden, Accent on Design®, Booth #3721) - Featuring rugs and home accessories that are crafted with love and made with pride in Sweden.
New and Convenient Dates
NY NOW will feature a new date pattern for the summer 2018 market offering greater convenience to both buyers and exhibitors. Artisan Resource will open along with the rest of NY NOW at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, August 12 and close at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 15 (one hour later than previous markets). Please note that no sections are open on Saturday. This date pattern represents a return to NY NOW’s traditional and preferred summer schedule, eliminating the staggered opening of recent markets and allowing buyers to shop all sections of the Market – including Artisan Resource – at any point during the show.
NY NOW is open to members of the industry including retailers and buyers as well as members of the press. For more information and to register, please visit nynow.com.
The summer 2018 edition of NY NOW®, the Market for Home, Lifestyle + Gift, will take place August 12-15, 2018 at New York City’s Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. NY NOW features three comprehensive collections – HOME, LIFESTYLE and HANDMADE – that encompass tens of thousands of products in hundreds of product categories. Attendees from all 50 states and nearly 70 countries worldwide are expected.
· The official name of the market is “NY NOW.” Please do not use “NY Now,” “NYNow,” “New York Now,” “the NY Gift Show” or the “NY Gift Fair” to refer to the market.
· Javits North will continue to be under renovation during the summer 2018 market and as a result, the Handmade® Designer Maker section will once again be located on Level 3.
· The entirety of NY NOW’s summer 2018 market – including the Handmade® Global Design section located in the River Pavilion - will open at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, August 12, 2018 and close at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City. No sections are open on Saturday.
· NY NOW has a new logo. If you need a high-res version for your coverage, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.